Share This On:
(AP) — A federal judge has ordered that R. Kelly be held in jail without bond after a prosecutor warned that the singer accused of having sex with minors and trying to cover up the crimes would pose an extreme danger to young girls if set free.
“If he was attracted to middle school girls in 1999 then he’s still attracted to middle school girls,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Angel Krull told U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber.
“That’s who the defendant is and that, your honour, makes him a danger today.”
Leinenweber said that under federal law Kelly would have to prove that he was not a danger to the public and Kelly’s attorney, Steve Greenberg, had failed to do so.
Kelly was arrested while walking his dog in Chicago last week and faces an array of sex-related charges in Chicago and New York .
Appearing in court wearing an orange jumpsuit and shacked at the ankles, he said only two words, “Yes, sir,” when the judge asked him if he understood the charges.
Two women who recently lived with Kelly, Azriel Clary and Joycelyn Savage, attended the court hearing Tuesday.
The ruling Tuesday means that Kelly, who pleaded not guilty to the charges contained in the Chicago indictment , will remain in custody to face a separate indictment in New York.
He is charged there with racketeering, kidnapping, forced labour and the sexual exploitation of a child.
More International News Stories
- Nigeria is trying 47 men arrested in a hotel under its anti-gay laws December 12, 2019
- Santa hacker speaks to girl via smart camera December 12, 2019
- Chile missing plane: Human remains found, governor says December 12, 2019
- Saudi Aramco replaces Apple as world’s largest listed company December 12, 2019
- Chicago prosecutor to vacate 1,000 marijuana convictions December 12, 2019
- Sex criminal sentenced to life throws pitcher, hits judge in head December 12, 2019
- Pakistan protest: Patients die as lawyers ransack Lahore hospital December 12, 2019
- General election 2019: Voters head to polls across the UK December 12, 2019