Share This On:
The third iteration of the Courts Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament will take place December 3-13 in Trinidad and Tobago.
Young Saint Lucian allrounder Qiana Joseph will feature for at least part of the competition.
West Indies captain Stafanie Taylor is set to make her debut in the series, but will only do so after concluding her participation in Australia’s Big Bash. Her team, Southern Titans, will be under the captaincy of Britney Cooper, along with fellow West Indies players Deandra Dottin, Chadean Nation, and Shakiba Gajnabi. Titans were second in 2018.
Saint Lucia’s Joseph, who turns 19 January next, will play for Titans until Taylor returns from Australia.
An alumnus of Corinth Secondary School, Joseph has played two one-day internationals, two warmup ODI’s, and two warmup T20’s for West Indies women.
A right-handed batsman and left-arm fast bowler, Joseph was MVP of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) and Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Cricket Association’s Girls 19 and Under T20 competition earlier this year. She led the Windward Islands to second place, having amassed the most runs for the competition.
In Trinidad and Tobago, Joseph will play alongside Trinidad and Tobago under-19 medium pacer, Djenaba Joseph, who took the most wickets in the U19 competition. She will also play under coach Kelvin Williams and former West Indies women’s captain, Merissa Aguilleira. The latter is the manager of Southern Titans.
“We are pleased to continue our partnership with Courts this year and welcome Cricket West Indies’ increased support for the event,” said Aguilleira. “This tournament is the first and only women’s cricket franchise event in this region and our goal is to grow it into one of the biggest franchise events in the world.”
The local franchises include defending champs, LCB Central Sharks, Titans, Trident Sports Phoenix, and UDECOTT North Starblazers. Matches will take place at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, UWI Spec, and the National Cricket Center.
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM