Share This On:
The third iteration of the Courts Women’s T20 Grand Slam Franchise Tournament will take place December 3-13 in Trinidad and Tobago.
Young Saint Lucian allrounder Qiana Joseph will feature for at least part of the competition.
West Indies captain Stafanie Taylor is set to make her debut in the series, but will only do so after concluding her participation in Australia’s Big Bash. Her team, Southern Titans, will be under the captaincy of Britney Cooper, along with fellow West Indies players Deandra Dottin, Chadean Nation, and Shakiba Gajnabi. Titans were second in 2018.
Saint Lucia’s Joseph, who turns 19 January next, will play for Titans until Taylor returns from Australia.
An alumnus of Corinth Secondary School, Joseph has played two one-day internationals, two warmup ODI’s, and two warmup T20’s for West Indies women.
A right-handed batsman and left-arm fast bowler, Joseph was MVP of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) and Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Cricket Association’s Girls 19 and Under T20 competition earlier this year. She led the Windward Islands to second place, having amassed the most runs for the competition.
In Trinidad and Tobago, Joseph will play alongside Trinidad and Tobago under-19 medium pacer, Djenaba Joseph, who took the most wickets in the U19 competition. She will also play under coach Kelvin Williams and former West Indies women’s captain, Merissa Aguilleira. The latter is the manager of Southern Titans.
“We are pleased to continue our partnership with Courts this year and welcome Cricket West Indies’ increased support for the event,” said Aguilleira. “This tournament is the first and only women’s cricket franchise event in this region and our goal is to grow it into one of the biggest franchise events in the world.”
The local franchises include defending champs, LCB Central Sharks, Titans, Trident Sports Phoenix, and UDECOTT North Starblazers. Matches will take place at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, UWI Spec, and the National Cricket Center.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM