Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – Sir Derek Alton Walcott, KCSL OBE OCC, will be laid to rest on Saturday 25th March 2017. The poet, artist, playwright and 1992 Nobel Laureate in Literature, died at home on Friday March 17, 2017.
Sir Derek will receive a state funeral which begins with his body lying in state in the House of Parliament, with public viewing on Saturday from 11:00AM to 1:00PM.
Following this the body will be escorted by a military parade to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Castries, where the service will begin at 2:00PM. The Eulogy will be delivered by Professor Emeritus Edward Baugh and will be followed by a minute of silence in Sir Derek’s honour.
The funeral service will be carried live on the National Television Network and there will be public screening of the funeral service at the Derek Walcott Square. Saint Lucians are encouraged to come out to bid farewell to Sir Derek along the parade route, at the Square and to also observe the minute of silence.
Sir Derek will then be laid to rest at Morne Fortune, near the Inniskilling Monument, within close proximity of fellow Laureate, Sir Arthur Lewis.
More General Stories
- SRDF honors centenarian January 23, 2020
- Funeral Service – Mr. Cassius “Cassie Boom” Glasgow January 23, 2020
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020
- DASH Independence Colour Run 2020 – Ready, set, go! January 17, 2020
- Book fair opens for Nobel Laureate Festival January 16, 2020
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020
- PM Chastanet wishes Saint Lucians a prosperous new year January 2, 2020