Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A prominent South African prosecutor was killed in court this week by a loaded gun that discharged when it somehow fell, according to reports.
Addelaid Ann Ferreira, 51, was in Ixopo regional court when the weapon was introduced as an exhibit in a robbery case, fell and accidentally fired, the Sunday Times reported.
The lawyer was shot in the left side of the hip and brought to the hospital, where she died from her injuries, police said.
Umzimkhulu police said they’re investigating the fatal incident as a culpable homicide.
“Unfortunately, we cannot divulge further information as the investigations are at a sensitive stage,” police spokesperson Brigadier Jay Naicker told News24.
Ferreira’s employer confirmed her death in a letter to colleagues.
“Her untimely passing is mourned by all. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family during this difficult time. The family has requested that their privacy be respected,” KwaZulu-Natal director of public prosecutions Elaine Zungu wrote, according to the outlet.
Ferreira’s loved ones remembered the lawyer Tuesday for having a “compassionate heart.”
“You have outstanding charisma, cool logic and a compassionate heart,” Ric Holt wrote in a Facebook tribute.
More International News Stories
- Venezuela has less cash in its coffers than Jay-Z is worth January 22, 2020
- Man cleared of murder walks free after 28 years in prison January 22, 2020
- I want to apologise to the Queen, says Meghan’s father Thomas Markle January 22, 2020
- Screening in UK as 17 killed by ‘mutating’ coronavirus January 22, 2020
- US gets 1st case of mysterious new Chinese illness January 22, 2020
- US: Teacher pleads guilty to having sexual contact with her students January 22, 2020
- China warns virus may spread as death toll hits 9 January 22, 2020