Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — As part of Saint Lucia’s observance of International Mother Language Day (Feb. 21) and World Poetry Day (March 21), the Saint Lucia National Commission for UNESCO organised the 2019 Kwéyòl Poetry Writing Competition”.
The competition—which coincided with the celebration of Saint Lucia’s 40th Independence Anniversary (Feb. 22)—was held under the theme: “Nou tout abò: voyaj nou, desitnasyon nou”.
The Kwéyòl Poetry Writing Competition was a celebration of language diversity and was intended to support UNESCO’s efforts at linguistic variety through poetic expression, and to offer indigenous languages the opportunity to be heard within their communities. This year’s competition also provided an opportunity for persons to reflect on the theme for our 40th Independence Anniversary which calls on us to consider how far we have come as a country and to think about how, individually and collectively, we can chart a course for Saint Lucia’s future that will ensure peace and prosperity for all Saint Lucians.
A prize-giving ceremony in recognition of the winners of the inaugural annual Kwéyòl Poetry Writing Competition will take place today, Oct. 10 on the 5th Floor of the Finance Administrative Centre (Point Seraphine, Castries) from 6:30 p.m.
The ceremony will mark Saint Lucia’s commemoration of Creole Heritage Month 2019, and is an opportunity for the Saint Lucia National Commission for UNESCO to celebrate the expression of our indigenous creole language and rich cultural heritage.
The media is invited.
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM
- Conservationists frown on illegal dumping practices near nature site February 14, 2020 2:25 PM