Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A principal at a Texas middle school was placed on administrative leave after saying he’s worried that illegal immigration will turn the United States into a “dirty country,” according to a report.
William Dugat, the eighth-grade principal at Lufkin Middle School, made the remark in response to a Facebook photo of a woman standing alongside Democratic US Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke, who made a campaign stop in Lufkin last week during in his bid to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz.
“I care about his stance on the stance on the issues, especially universal health care because there are so many people that go without basic care and the environment because I worry about my children and grandchildren having clean water to drink,” the woman, Zoie Lovejoy, wrote on Thursday. “Those are my priorities, I know they may be different from yours but that’s okay because we are both mature adults and can disagree on the issues but still be civil to each other.”
That seemingly struck a chord with Dugat, according to his since-deleted response.
“Exactly!” he replied, according to a screenshot captured by KTRE. “I worry about the USA looking like Mexico and South America with so many illegal aliens being welcomed to our country. Guess we are doomed to have a dirty county either way.”
Dugat did not immediately return a message seeking comment Monday morning.
A spokesperson for the school district told KTRE that Dugat was placed on administrative leave Friday after officials learned of the controversial comment.
“Yes, we were made aware of the post,” the spokesperson told the station. “We do not condone his actions or his comments. He had been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation of the incident.”
Other users also took aim at Lovejoy’s post, including one man who said he hoped she does not “claim to be a Christian” due to her political beliefs.
“Beto and all other Democrats believe in abortion, homosexuality and other issues that my God calls abominations,” another reply read. “If you support ONE of their platforms you support all … Praying for you, ‘mature adult.’”
More International News Stories
- E. coli gut infection linked to bowel cancer February 27, 2020
- Facebook bans ads with false claims about coronavirus February 27, 2020
- Coronavirus patient in Brazil marks Latin America’s first case February 26, 2020
- Trump says coronavirus ‘under control’ in US, problem going to ‘go away’ February 25, 2020
- More virus deaths outside China raise pandemic fears February 25, 2020
- Brazilian baby goes viral for epic scowl moments after birth February 25, 2020
- Iran deputy health minister has coronavirus February 25, 2020
- Amid China virus fears, even a haircut is a major operation February 25, 2020
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020