Share This On:
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet last night announced the VAT reduction which has been eagerly awaited by St. Lucians since it was promised in the elections earlier this year.
The reduction, which will take effect on February 1, 2017, will pump $52.5 million into the hands of St. Lucians according to the PM.
The VAT reduction will see a cut from the current 15% to 12.5%.
Countries in the Caribbean have been taking steps to provide stimulus in the hope of triggering growth, a direct shift from the austerity policies adopted since the collapse of the US financial markets that had deeply impacted Caribbean markets.
- Saint Lucia and Republic of Kosovo sign visa waiver agreement
- Saint Lucia considering phased reopening of Grade Six and Form Five classes
- Mother and children homeless after Ciceron fire
- UPDATE: Fire on abandoned building in Castries now under control (+photos and videos)
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire in Castries city (+photos and videos)
- Arthur, the first named storm of the hurricane season, could form this weekend
- UPDATE: Man shot dead at Dennery Fishing Complex identified
- LIAT extends suspension of passenger services
- Bay Gardens Resorts starts relief fund for its staff