Share This On:
(SNO) — Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Allen Chastanet has said 2019 is a “very important” year for Saint Lucia, urging the public not to get distracted because the “real enemies” are crime and poverty.
Chastanet comments — posted on his official Facebook page recently — surrounds his recent meeting between him and officials from the Ministry of Finance and a team from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
He wrote: “This is going to be a very important year for our country. We must not allow ourselves to get distracted and remember always that poverty, deprivation, crime, under-development and critically lost opportunities are the
real enemies. These are the things our Government policies and the 2019/2020 budget are designed to address.”
The prime minister said for Saint Lucia to be successful collectively “we must strive for excellence, always. We must take advantage of the opportunities before us and continuously lift each other up”.
He called on “all Saint Lucians” to support the efforts being made in education, sports reform, fighting crime, food security, safeguarding the environment and assisting the most vulnerable.
“After 40 years, we must have learned by now that we are stronger when we work together, when we are All-in!” Chastanet concluded.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM