Share This On:
1. The Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela informs the international community that on 30 July 2017 it held an electoral process to elect 545 representatives to a National Constituent Assembly, which was called by President Nicolas Maduro Moros, on 01 May 2017, in accordance with the provisions of Article 348 of its Constitution, which reads: “The initiative for calling a National Constituent Assembly may emanate from the President of the Republic sitting with the Cabinet of Ministers…”.
2. The Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela notes that this electoral process, which was held in a civic and peaceful manner, and under the authority of the National Electoral Council, allowing for an audit and verification process, counted with the participation of 8.089.320 people, accounting for over 41.53% of the electoral roll. This represents a milestone in the political and democratic history of the nation, constituting the highest number of participation in an electoral process, despite the many threats and acts of intimidation and siege that attempted to sabotage this election.
3. The Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela reaffirms its pacifist vocation and that its matters are to be solved among Venezuelans, without external interference of any kind. In this regard, it reiterates that the National Constituent Assembly, which is to be established in the coming days and which has been legitimated by the Venezuelan People in the ballot boxes, represents the most appropriate space to engage in a superior, honest and genuine political dialogue, with a view to effectively moving forward in the peaceful resolution of the differences between the various political actors that are part of the country.
4. The Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, while expressing its sincere appreciation to the Governments and Peoples of the international community who have transmitted their support and recognition to the electoral process in reference, categorically rejects the attempt of a few other members of the international community to disavow said process and its results, in blatant defiance of the sovereign will of the Venezuelan people, as expressed just hours ago when they freely exercised their right to vote.
5. The Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela raises awareness on the campaign of discredit and the threats of aggressions and pressures that will continue and are likely to increase in the coming days against it, including through the the imposition of additional unilateral and illegal sanctions against Venezuela, particularly after having sovereignly decided to proceed through the democratic path, with the convening of the electoral process in reference. In this regard, the Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela stresses once again the validity of the purposes and principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, as well as of the norms of international law, to which it fully adheres.