Share This On:
Member of Parliament for Vieux Fort North and Opposition spokesman on Agriculture, Fisheries and Health has joined counterparts from fourteen (14) Caribbean countries in Barbados today July 21st 2017 for a working meeting of parliamentarians on Food and Nutrition Security.
Hon Baptiste who was invited by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization will be one of the lead presenters on how public policies and legislation for Food and Nutrition Security can be improved through the established Parliamentary Front Against Hunger in Latin America and the Caribbean. Hon Jn. Baptiste will also be the Chair for the meetings session on Parliamentary Focal Points on Food and Nutrition Security : Actions and Roadmap.
The MP has been at the forefront of promoting strategies for effective actions at policy level in Food and Nutrition Security in the Caribbean. As Minister for Agriculture between 2011 and 2016 here in Saint Lucia the National Food and Nutrition Security Policy document was presented to, and approved by the Cabinet of ministers. A new Improved School Feeding Programme was introduced and local food purchases were significantly increased.
Hon Moses Jn Baptiste explains that he continues to seek opportunities to dialogue with policy makers throughout the Caribbean due to the importance of food and nutrition issues especially to developing countries. Agricultural policies that are aimed at reducing Non Communicable Diseases can also create sustainable employment and save a significant portion of the $5 Billion US that is spent on food imports in the region.
Upon his return, Hon Moses Jn. Baptiste hopes to encourage the members of Parliament to establish a bi-partisan parliamentary front to continue to promote and advocate public policies that will ensure actions which should focus on Food and Nutrition issues in Saint Lucia.
More Caribbean Stories
- Trinidad motorists discover murdered man November 22, 2019
- Trinidad: Matelot’s beloved community activist murdered November 22, 2019
- Barbados PM: Power outage ‘embarrassing’ November 22, 2019
- Mother, son shot dead in Trinidad November 22, 2019
- Death at a wake in Trinidad November 22, 2019
- Jamaican man lands on US most wanted list for girlfriend’s murder November 22, 2019
- Custom plates for Trinidad & Tobago in January November 22, 2019
- Trinidad: Sat Maharaj remembered as loving leader November 22, 2019
- Trinidad man wanted for ten murders killed by police November 22, 2019