Share This On:
Contrary to rumors that work on the Desert Star Holding (DSH) project in Vieux-For has come to a sudden halt, work on the site has not stopped.
However, the preparatory work which began just over a month ago is expected to end next week.
Workers on the site say they have no idea when the next stage will be approved.
The preparatory work includes the clearing of lands, levelling of the site and the construction of offices, among others. Currently, some of the top soil is being removed, which will complete the preparatory stage.
But due to rain no work took place on the site Wednesday and Thursday.
When the work began, just a few truckers were hired. Currently, a number of truckers, mainly from the south of the island, such as Micoud and Augier, have recently been employed on the project. There are about 10 trucks and four excavators engaged on the project.
Opponents of the project have claimed that there is nepotism on the part of government officials in relation to work on the project.
Residents of the south say they are keeping a keen eye on the awarding of contracts on the project, hoping that construction workers in the south of the island will be given their fair share of work on it.
Among the trucks seen on the site was one marked, Cepal Holding Inc., which is a business based in the north of the island.
At the commencement of work on the project, there was dissatisfaction among the United Workers Party (UWP) camp in Vieux-Fort when an executive member of its constituency group expressed dissatisfaction with the awarding of contracts on the project, claiming that persons who did not support the party were given contract on the project.
He was recently given a job on the project.
Investigations by this reporter revealed that he expressed his annoyance openly to a government official.
Over the past few months there have been a number of protest marches organised by several groups in Vieux-Fort, opposing the project in its present form, and called for more details of the agreement with its developer.
- Mayor Francis commends emergency personnel for heroic response to Thursday’s city fire November 22, 2019 1:12 PM
- Minister discusses health financing at Global Fund meeting November 22, 2019 1:05 PM
- Temporary closure of affected Gov’t Departments due to recent fire November 22, 2019 10:25 AM
- Voyager building entirely gutted by massive blaze says PM Chastanet November 22, 2019 9:38 AM
- Final phase of Sandals to Choc Road Widening Project November 22, 2019 7:12 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Fire at Voyager building in Castries November 21, 2019 1:59 PM
- BTC receives new laptops November 21, 2019 10:19 AM
- US representative to OAS says political situation in Dominica ‘worrisome’ November 21, 2019 8:29 AM
- OBE Award recipients get high praise from PM Chastanet November 20, 2019 4:00 PM