The Ministry of Education will be making special arrangements to facilitate the pregnant 11-year-old from Micoud, to write the Common Entrance Exam.
Education Minister, Dr. Robert Lewis, told the media on Tuesday that the issue was discussed by his ministry and they have decided to work to ensure that the child’s education is not terminated.
“While we leave the issue to Human Services and the courts, we are supportive of the child and parent, and we want them to know that we discussed it and we want that child to write her exam,” he said.
The minister said since the child is now in the care of Human Services and given the circumstances of the issue, the girl will be put at a separate location, away from her school, to sit the exam.
In light of this incident, Dr. Lewis said these are parental issues that needs to be addressed, but has also advised schools to play its part by enforcing morals and societal standards.
“We know that children will come into difficult positions and that is why we are asking that part of our education is to teach children about their bodies and teach them that they need to be very careful with what they do,” the minister added.
The grade six student was discovered pregnant last week, when she was taken to the hospital, after complaining of feeling ill.
It is alleged that the girl had sexual intercourse with a 17-year-old boy in her community, which may have led to her pregnancy.