The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) has indicated today that it intends to release a statement on the robbery of tour bus with about 50 tourists at Botanical Gardens in Soufriere on Friday.
Reports reaching St. Lucia News Online are that masked gunmen robbed the tourists of cash and jewelry.
The tourists were from Celebrity Cruise line’s Eclipse vessel which is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises.
Local tourism officials have since responded to the incident.
Tourism Minister Lorne Theophilus described the incident as an “unfortunate and a horrible scenario” while St Lucia Tourist Board Chairman Mathew Beaubrun called it a “rare incident”.
The Telegraph newspaper in the United Kingdom said Celebrity Cruises confirmed that 55 passengers and two crew members were visiting the Botanical Gardens in Soufriere on Friday when the incident occurred.
The newspaper said the trip was one of the shore excursions in St Lucia offered to passengers making the two-week cruise holiday on board the vessel Celebrity Eclipse.
Contrary to reports by tourism officials that no one was hurt during the incident, the Telegraph reported that a member of the internet forum Cruise Critic, currently on the same voyage, claimed a woman had fallen and broken her leg during the robbery.
“We are on the Eclipse,” they wrote. “Yesterday we were ported in St. Lucia. One of the ship tours was robbed at gun point by three masked gunmen. We were not on the tour, but friends were. They said one woman fell and broke her leg; no one else was injured. All their money and jewellery were taken.”
However, a spokesman for Celebrity Cruises denied anyone had been hurt, according to the newspaper.
He told the Telegraph: “The affected guests have been contacted by our Guest Care Team to offer assistance, if necessary,” they said. “We are thankful that none of our guests were injured in this unfortunate event, and will continue to provide them any support they may need.”