Share This On:
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has said he is awaiting the outcome of the court matter involving his Junior Finance Minister Dr. Ubaldus Raymond before he can decide on his fate.
Chastanet was referring to the nude photo scandal that Dr. Raymond is embroiled in, where an 18-year-old college student was charged for blackmailing him.
“As soon as the details are available to me and I can make a decision we will make that decision, but up until now I have to allow the court to take its process,” he said.
The prime minister reiterated that it is an unfortunate incident, but explained that it is not something new as it has happened many times and handled differently by many countries.
“But right now it is a matter that is in the courts – there is a pending investigation and I think it would be premature on my part or anybody’s part to jump to conclusions until the evidence comes out,” Chastanet told the media Monday.
He promised to react once the case is concluded.
Meanwhile, when questioned as to whether Dr. Raymond has been distracted by the ongoing investigation, Chastanet said the senator has been going to work ‘very diligently’ .
“We have not seen any distractions in that regard, but certainly we will keep our eye on it,” he said.
“There have certainly been no distractions on my part because I am very clear as to what I have to wait for – I can’t rush to judgement, I have to wait to see what the situation is, so there is no point trying to cross the bridge before you get to it.”
The student, involved in the scandal identified as Curshaby Alexander of Beausejour, Gros Islet, was charged under section 223, subsection 1 of the criminal code and granted $10,000 bail that same day.
The matter is scheduled for a second (closed) hearing on February 2, 2017 at the Gros Islet Court.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort wins ‘America’s Most Eco-Friendly Hotel’ award November 9, 2019 1:45 PM
- VIDEO: Schoolgirls, two women fight at Castries fast food outlet November 9, 2019 1:17 PM
- Cow thief arrested by Anse La Raye police November 8, 2019 10:20 PM