Share This On:
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has said he is awaiting the outcome of the court matter involving his Junior Finance Minister Dr. Ubaldus Raymond before he can decide on his fate.
Chastanet was referring to the nude photo scandal that Dr. Raymond is embroiled in, where an 18-year-old college student was charged for blackmailing him.
“As soon as the details are available to me and I can make a decision we will make that decision, but up until now I have to allow the court to take its process,” he said.
The prime minister reiterated that it is an unfortunate incident, but explained that it is not something new as it has happened many times and handled differently by many countries.
“But right now it is a matter that is in the courts – there is a pending investigation and I think it would be premature on my part or anybody’s part to jump to conclusions until the evidence comes out,” Chastanet told the media Monday.
He promised to react once the case is concluded.
Meanwhile, when questioned as to whether Dr. Raymond has been distracted by the ongoing investigation, Chastanet said the senator has been going to work ‘very diligently’ .
“We have not seen any distractions in that regard, but certainly we will keep our eye on it,” he said.
“There have certainly been no distractions on my part because I am very clear as to what I have to wait for – I can’t rush to judgement, I have to wait to see what the situation is, so there is no point trying to cross the bridge before you get to it.”
The student, involved in the scandal identified as Curshaby Alexander of Beausejour, Gros Islet, was charged under section 223, subsection 1 of the criminal code and granted $10,000 bail that same day.
The matter is scheduled for a second (closed) hearing on February 2, 2017 at the Gros Islet Court.
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM
- Conservationists frown on illegal dumping practices near nature site February 14, 2020 2:25 PM