Share This On:
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet believes the United Kingdom’s upcoming general election may turn out to be a good thing for St. Lucia.
UK Prime Minister Theresa May called a snap general election on June 8 and said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the European Union referendum.
Chastanet told reporters on Tuesday that May’s decision to call elections quickens stability and the positive results are already showing with the strengthening of the pound.
“Already this morning (Tuesday) we saw that the pound strengthened from 1.25 to 126. At least it is moving in the right direction,” Chastanet said.
“For St. Lucia to be competitive in the UK market we need to see a pound of around 1.50 to 1.60, that would drive not only arrivals into St. Lucia, but also in terms of driving our real estate market,” he added.
The former tourism minister said anything that the UK can do to strengthen people’s confidence in the UK is a “very good thing”.
The House of Commons backed May’s decision by a margin of 522 votes to 13, above the two-thirds majority needed, as Labour and the Lib Dems supported the move, the BBC reported.
According to the BBC, the PM has argued a fresh mandate would strengthen her hand in Brexit talks and provide certainty for the future.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM