Share This On:
Former Deputy Prime Minister and Castries East Member of Parliament (MP), Philip J. Pierre, has been confirmed as the new leader of the Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP).
At a National Council Meeting held on Saturday, June 18, 2016, members confirmed Pierre’s elevation to the position of political leader, following the resignation of Dr. Kenny D. Anthony.
Pierre has also been chosen by the elected members of the opposition to serve as Leader of the Opposition.
During his address at the National Council Meeting, Pierre thanked members for their confidence in him and said he will work with all to give the direction and focus needed at this time.
He also paid special tribute to Dr. Anthony, who served as political Leader of the SLP for twenty years, from 1996-2016. He welcomed Dr. Anthony’s admission that he will be around to provide support and to function as is required in Parliament and his constituency in the current period.
Pierre previously served as first Deputy Political Leader of the SLP and has been the Parliamentary Representative for Castries East since May 23, 1997.
More Politics Stories
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019
- Sittings of the House of Assembly and the Senate December 6, 2019
- Senate sitting, today December 3, 2019
- SLP is pleased to once again respond to UWP on Juffali questions December 2, 2019
- UWP demands answers from SLP on former Saint Lucian diplomat November 29, 2019
- Home affairs minister contests Caribbean News Now report November 29, 2019