Share This On:
(SNO) — The Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP) has decided that they want Philip J. Pierre to remain as their political leader.
The main opposition party confirmed their ‘vote of confidence’ in the Castries East parliamentary representative at the closed session of the Annual Conference of Delegates held on Sunday, Oct. 21 at the Fond St. Jacques Primary School in the constituency of Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques.
When the ballots on Pierre’s leadership were counted and the results came out in his favour — 273 voted “for” and 3 “against” — the crowd of delegates erupted into jubilation. The video below captures that moment
“The (SLP) constitution allows for a vote of confidence in the political leader at every conference,” a party official told St. Lucia News Online.
“No one went up against him. The constitution says that a political leader is elected after every general elections. That was done. After that is done a vote of confidence is taken every year after, which has been done,” the official said, further explaining the process.
According to the party official, there are new persons on the SLP’s executive but no one was challenged. The names in the executive will be released later, the official noted.
Pierre, who has been the MP for Castries East since 1997, and was deputy prime minister and minister for infrastructure, port services and transport in 2011, was selected as Leader of the Opposition following the SLP’s loss at the 2016 general election. He was confirmed leader of the Labour Party on June 18, 2016.
Former government minister under the United Workers Party (UWP) Richard Frederick said at a SLP public rally recently that he favours Pierre to become the next prime minister of Saint Lucia.
Frederick, who was expelled by the UWP before the last general elections, had said on an edition of his weekly television talk show, that he will not contest an election under a UWP ticket once Allen Chastanet, who is currently the nation’s prime minister, is a/the leader of the party.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM