Share This On:
(SNO) — The Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP) has decided that they want Philip J. Pierre to remain as their political leader.
The main opposition party confirmed their ‘vote of confidence’ in the Castries East parliamentary representative at the closed session of the Annual Conference of Delegates held on Sunday, Oct. 21 at the Fond St. Jacques Primary School in the constituency of Soufriere/Fond St. Jacques.
When the ballots on Pierre’s leadership were counted and the results came out in his favour — 273 voted “for” and 3 “against” — the crowd of delegates erupted into jubilation. The video below captures that moment
“The (SLP) constitution allows for a vote of confidence in the political leader at every conference,” a party official told St. Lucia News Online.
“No one went up against him. The constitution says that a political leader is elected after every general elections. That was done. After that is done a vote of confidence is taken every year after, which has been done,” the official said, further explaining the process.
According to the party official, there are new persons on the SLP’s executive but no one was challenged. The names in the executive will be released later, the official noted.
Pierre, who has been the MP for Castries East since 1997, and was deputy prime minister and minister for infrastructure, port services and transport in 2011, was selected as Leader of the Opposition following the SLP’s loss at the 2016 general election. He was confirmed leader of the Labour Party on June 18, 2016.
Former government minister under the United Workers Party (UWP) Richard Frederick said at a SLP public rally recently that he favours Pierre to become the next prime minister of Saint Lucia.
Frederick, who was expelled by the UWP before the last general elections, had said on an edition of his weekly television talk show, that he will not contest an election under a UWP ticket once Allen Chastanet, who is currently the nation’s prime minister, is a/the leader of the party.
- Saint Lucian in Taiwan’s top TV singing contest November 19, 2019 8:06 AM
- Turmoil in Dominica as protesters and police clash (see video) November 19, 2019 7:55 AM
- Mayor Francis unhappy over disarmament of cop by bandits November 19, 2019 7:34 AM
- CSA happy over collective agreement with LUCELEC but … November 19, 2019 7:19 AM
- Saint Lucia Forensic Lab working to build public confidence, says director November 19, 2019 4:31 AM
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM