The management of St. Lucia News Online sincerely apologises to its readers and advertisers for the reduction in news updates over the past weeks due to issues beyond our control that we can not legally/personally disclose at this time. Thankfully, there was no downtime but we regret the lack of updates due, to as mentioned, issues beyond our control. We thank you for your patience as normalcy is being restored to our daily coverage.

Opposition leader warns of crime and violence level in Barbados

By CMC

 Share This On:

Joseph Atherley

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Mar 1, CMC – Opposition Leader, Joseph Atherley, is warning that crime and violence in Barbados are almost at a crisis level and is calling for urgent interventions to address the situation.

“The moment is urgent; the matter is approaching crisis proportions; the measure of our resolve will determine the Barbados profile of tomorrow,” Atherley said in a statement.

“This statement constitutes a call on Government to establish urgently a national platform for dialogue on crime and violence. We suggest that the effort be led by a special sub-committee of the Cabinet inclusive of the ministries of the Attorney General, Home Affairs, Education and Youth and Community Development,” he added.

The latest killing murder occurred on Wednesday night, when a gunman shot and killed 47 year-old construction worker, Lester Holder, and injured another person, as he fired gunshots at a group of people.

Atherley said that wrong to suggest that the increased cases of violent crime here is as a result of the last government’s inability to present more opportunities to young people during its time in office.

The Opposition Leader said that there’s a need for a researched-based, proactive, strategic and holistic approach.

“Our national response must better understand the contributing dynamics associated with family life and parenting. The church and other social agencies must be more relevantly engaging our youth and communities,” he said in the statement.

“Our leaders all across the board must offer better modeling of desired conduct and we must deliberately promote long-held Barbadian values and better shield those values from the threat of imported perverted influences.”

Earlier this week, prominent sociologist, Richard Carter, suggested that a mandatory National Youth Service may be the answer to the problems facing young people here.

Carter told the National Strategic Consultation on the Social Response to Crime held on Wednesday, that he idea of a National Youth Service, first mooted in 1999.

He said while not much progress had been made on that initiative, he is hoping there would be greater resolve in implementing the programme at this time, given “the current circumstances.

“What we are facing is a multidimensional problem which needs a multidimensional response. It will not yield immediate results, medium term at best. It required thinking about the problem at its genesis, that is, at the family and community level,” carter added.

In his statement, the Opposition Leader said that there was need for more investment in a targeted and significantly enhanced school’s guidance counselling programme.

He said the current educational system also needed to be evaluated and he also called for a revamped justice system.

“The positive efforts at penal reform must continue with strong elements of rehabilitation. Our custodial responses must be reviewed to ensure that proper penalties apply, while at the same time avoiding the outcome of creating habitual offenders.

“The justice system must be made to work more efficiently with greater measure of restorative and restitutionary elements incorporated. At the same time, the hand of the judicial sanction must be firm.”

In January, Prime Minister Mia Mottley warned criminals that her administration will take a zero tolerance approach to crime as she announced that members of the Barbados Defence Force (BDF) would be joining the police in a major operation to reduce crime on the island.

She said that the authorities would be moving swiftly to deal with criminal elements in an effort to wrestle the crime situation here which she declared was “nowhere as bad” as in other countries of the region.

“We are not prepared under any circumstances to admit that it is business as usual when eight people can lose their lives in this country in the month of January. We are not prepared under any circumstances for people to believe that they can use or walk around with guns as if they are toys, as if they are badges of honour,” said Mottley.

(0)(0)
Copyright 2019 St. Lucia News Online. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.