Share This On:
(SNO) — Violence continues to grip the Castries inner-city community of Marchand. In the latest incident, a man was shot and injured on Monday night (April 22).
Marchand police received a report, about 11:30 p.m., of a 33-year-old male seen on the Marchand main road with an apparent gunshot wound to the abdominal area.
The lawmen transported the victim to hospital where he was admitted in stable condition.
No one has been arrested in connection with this shooting. And no additional details about the incident were immediately available.
This was the second shooting in the Marchand area during the Easter weekend, and the fourth incident over the past week.
At least five people have been shot — including one fatally — in the community since Thursday.
Several Marchand residents have claimed in interviews with our newsroom that there have been a number of shootings since a well-known resident was gunned down last week, and they fear the violence will continue.
That resident is Chad Ramsay, 33, of Rockhall, who was fatally shot while walking on Broglie Street, Castries around midday last Thursday.
It was reported that he was with a male relative when the attack occurred, but the relative reportedly escaped unharmed.
Ramsay died on the spot after sustaining apparent gunshot wound/s to his face/head.
A video of Ramsay lying face-down on the sidewalk in a pool of blood has been circulating on Facebook.
Later that Thursday, another man was shot in Marchand.
Michael Deterville, a resident of Rockhall, Castries, was shot in the evening, in Trou Rouge, Marchand, and was transported to hospital in stable condition. No additional details are available on this incident.
Another shooting occurred, two days later in Trou Rouge, Marchand.On Saturday evening, April 20, the Marchand Police Station received a report of the shooting just before 11:00.
The female victim was identified as Maria Willie, 56, a resident of Trou Rouge, who sustained a gunshot wound in the right knee area, officials said.
Her status was stable at the time she was being transported to Victoria Hospital, officials said.
The other victim is 47-year-old Donovan Williams, a resident of Maynard Hill, Castries, who sustained a gunshot wound to his right heel and was in stable condition at the time of transportation to Victoria Hospital, according to officials.
Both victims were transported by the same ambulance, officials noted.
The shooting reportedly occurred at a karaoke event in Marchand.
A source said gunmen opened fire at a male individual, hitting Williams and Willie in the process. It is not clear if Williams was the target.
The following day, on Easter Sunday, our newsroom received reports of gunshots being fired throughout the day, but there were no reported injuries.
“My sister said she ran inside,” a source said. “She said all through the day there was gunshots.”
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM