Share This On:
(SNO) — Jayhan Odlum-Smith began competition at the 14th FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships (25m) in Hangzhou, China on Wednesday evening.
The teenager, turning 17 in January, contested the first of his two events, the men’s 100m butterfly.
Although he finished 57th overall, the young man set a new personal best, Saint Lucia age group best, and a Saint Lucia national record. His time of 57.64, in fact, broke the Saint Lucia national record he set last month at the OECS Championships.
Additionally, the time is the fastest by any Saint Lucian swimmer, even in a 50m pool.
Odlum-Smith is quickly building up a body of work, having competed at the Youth Olympics as well as at the 2017 World Aquatics Championships.
Saint Lucia is also represented in China by England-based Jean Luc Zephir.
- BTC receives new laptops November 21, 2019 10:19 AM
- US representative to OAS says political situation in Dominica ‘worrisome’ November 21, 2019 8:29 AM
- OBE Award recipients get high praise from PM Chastanet November 20, 2019 4:00 PM
- Anse La Raye fire victim gets donation in rebuilding efforts November 20, 2019 2:52 PM
- Bishop of Roseau describes situation in Dominica after unrest as “sad” November 20, 2019 2:46 PM
- Sandals team members receive first class health care on the job November 20, 2019 12:12 PM
- Showers, isolated thunderstorms expected during the next 24 hours November 20, 2019 11:14 AM
- Jamaican Rose Hudson-Wilkin becomes Church of England’s first black female bishop November 20, 2019 2:17 AM