Share This On:
(SNO) — Jayhan Odlum-Smith began competition at the 14th FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships (25m) in Hangzhou, China on Wednesday evening.
The teenager, turning 17 in January, contested the first of his two events, the men’s 100m butterfly.
Although he finished 57th overall, the young man set a new personal best, Saint Lucia age group best, and a Saint Lucia national record. His time of 57.64, in fact, broke the Saint Lucia national record he set last month at the OECS Championships.
Additionally, the time is the fastest by any Saint Lucian swimmer, even in a 50m pool.
Odlum-Smith is quickly building up a body of work, having competed at the Youth Olympics as well as at the 2017 World Aquatics Championships.
Saint Lucia is also represented in China by England-based Jean Luc Zephir.
- Three suspected cases of coronavirus in Guadeloupe; tests in progress February 28, 2020 2:52 PM
- Caricom holds emergency meeting February 28, 2020 2:22 PM
- Iconic Kassav singer hospitalized in Martinique February 28, 2020 12:00 PM
- Family loses everything in Sarrot fire February 28, 2020 11:13 AM
- SLBS warns of illegal cigarettes on market February 28, 2020 11:03 AM
- Regional travel taxes comparatively low – Fedee February 28, 2020 10:33 AM
- Caribbean on high alert for deadly Covid-19 February 28, 2020 10:18 AM
- Labour Department investigating Hylyne Poultry complaints February 28, 2020 9:08 AM
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM