Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The National Workers Union (NWU) has welcomed the decision to assign the Ministry of Labour to Hon. Stephenson King. The NWU is prepared and willing to work closely with the Honourable Minister. This new Minister will however, have to deal efficiently with the following:
1. Breathe new life in the Ministry of Labour that has been comatose for five (5) years.
2. Settle the WASCO and St. Jude Hospital industrial impasses at mediation level.
3. Provide training opportunities and attachments for Department of Labour employees.
4. Cease the auction sale of Work Permits and re-establish the traditional interests to advise on their issuance.
5. Modernize the machinery responsible for holding mediation and conciliation sessions.
6. Encourage the appointment of a Deputy Labour Commissioner with the capacity and passion to execute the responsibilities of the position.
7. Establish a Research and Education Unit with responsibilities for preparation and presentation of educational programmes to the public.
8. Vigorously pursue and negotiate a bigger quota of the External Farm Labour Programme.
The NWU feels very strongly that a new thrust is needed to drive the work of the Department and the opportunity is now available.
More General Stories
- Mayor speaks on Castries development projects November 7, 2019
- Saint Lucia Supreme Court hosts mediation symposium November 7, 2019
- Saint Lucia works toward gender equality November 6, 2019
- Saint Lucia observes Energy Awareness Month November 5, 2019