Share This On:
(GIS) – The Nutrition Unit in the Ministry of Health and Wellness is employing new strategies in an effort to sensitize the school population on the dangers of excessive consumption of sugars and sodas.
On March 28, the Nutrition Unit visited the Vide Bouteille Secondary School—the first in a series of school visits.
Nutritionist in the Ministry of Health, Fadia Campbell, said: “Today we have a number of activities. There will be a skit to highlight the dangers of excess consumption of soft drinks, and we also have some displays that will demonstrate to students the number of teaspoons of sugar in different food products. We want to encourage our student population to adopt healthier lifestyles by eating more fruits and vegetables, as well as peas, beans, and legumes, and also to drink lots of water and be very active.”
Campbell also underscored the importance of engaging in healthy lifestyle practices.
“There is a great association between the excessive consumption of sweetened beverages and diabetes, obesity, and heart disease—all chronic non-communicable diseases. Also, there is research to show there is an association with asthma and bone disease. So there are a number of health-related diseases that are associated with soft drink consumption and excess sugar consumption.”
The schools health campaign is ongoing.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort wins ‘America’s Most Eco-Friendly Hotel’ award November 9, 2019 1:45 PM
- VIDEO: Schoolgirls, two women fight at Castries fast food outlet November 9, 2019 1:17 PM
- Cow thief arrested by Anse La Raye police November 8, 2019 10:20 PM