Norovirus cases rise to nearly 200 at Winter Olympics

By AFP

South Korean soldiers inspect a visitor at a security checkpoint as they replace security guards showing symptoms of the norovirus at the Gangneung Ice Arena in Gangneung on February 6, 2018 ahead of the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games.

(AFP) – Norovirus cases at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics have risen to nearly 200, organisers said on Monday, despite an intense battle to contain the outbreak.

Seventeen new cases have taken the total to 194, although 147 of those affected have already been released from quarantine, they said.

About 1,200 security guards were quarantined and replaced by hundreds of soldiers when the highly contagious bug first came to light last week.

Officials say they are doing everything they can to stop more people getting the virus, which causes diarrhoea and vomiting and can be spread by contaminated food and water.

Any illness spreading to the competitors would be a major embarrassment to hosts South Korea.

(0)(0)
This article was posted in its entirety as received by stlucianewsonline.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.