Share This On:
The month of January is recognized annually as the period of recognition of Saint Lucia’s outstanding sons, Nobel Laureates Sir Arthur Lewis and Hon. Sir Derek Walcott.
This year’s calendar showcases several events, particularly the Sir Arthur Lewis Memorial Lecture and the Derek Walcott Lecture respectively.
Lecturer at the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, Nathalie Jolie Fanis, says the college is enthused to host the Sir Arthur Lewis Memorial Lecture, among other activities.
“This is the 18th year that we will be putting on the Sir Arthur Lewis Memorial Lecture. This year our guest lecturer is Dr. Marlyn Atts. She is an economics lecturer at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine Campus in the department of economics. And we’re very happy that we can have something in the proximity of town for the number of persons who are going to show up, and especially because we want to encourage our students to attend the lecture.”
This year’s lecture will centre on the theme “In Search of Sustainable Development”. The lecture will take place on Thursday, January 24 at the Saint Mary’s College Auditorium.
Meanwhile, Coordinator of the Derek Walcott Lecture, Gandolph St. Clair, says this year’s lecture will be delivered by Sudeep Sen, a poet from India.
“He’s a brilliant poet, a brilliant craftsman who was introduced to us by Hon. Derek Walcott who works with Sudeep very closely. They’ve done a number of events all over the world.”
Various activities are scheduled for the month of January and include: a live panel discussion on the National Television Network NTN on Thursday January 17 at 8 pm, Masquerade on the Move at the Derek Walcott Square on January 19 and” Let’s Save Our Albums” at the National Archives on January 24.
More Culture/History Stories
- Nobel Laureate Festival Celebrating Excellence: Vision 20/20 excels January 30, 2020
- Walcott Open House January 20, 2020
- Nobel Laureate Festival to launch, Wednesday January 6, 2020
- St. Lucian community in London gather for National Day December 13, 2019
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities December 3, 2019
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019