No TB outbreak in Dominica says health minister

By SNO Staff

 Share This On:

Mc Intyre said there is no TB outbreak in Dominica

(SNO) – Dominica’s health minister, Dr. Irving McIntyre is rubbishing claims that there is an outbreak of the respiratory illness Tubercolosis (TB) at the island’s main hospital.

There were rumors for weeks that the disease was running rampant at the Princess Margaret Hospital and there were claims that the government was trying to cover up the situation.

But speaking at First Meeting of the first session of the Tenth Parliament on Monday, McIntyre it is not true.

“When we look at our TB situation, just last year we had 11 cases of tuberculosis. This year, we have 5 cases. 3 cases were confirmed; 2 cases are inconclusive…,” he pointed out.

He noted that there are experts testing for the disease and stated that in treating it, the health department had sometimes ran out of drugs but this is a thing of the past.

“There are certain drugs you need to prevent multi-drug resistance in tuberculosis,” McIntyre remarked. “We have taken it a step further; we have actually gotten 5,000 of these tablets, so, the idea of a stock-out doesn’t exist anymore. These are different interventions that we are taking.”

TB is spread through the air and is caused by the Mycobacterium Tuberculosis.

The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but they can also damage other parts of the body. TB spreads through the air when a person with TB of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, or talks.

Copyright 2020 St. Lucia News Online. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.