Share This On:
(SNO) — Chairman of the National Housing Corporation (NHC) Timothy Mangal has said the organization is exploring ways to provide low-cost housing for Saint Lucians.
He said this is being done in collaboration with private investors.
“It is very difficult in this country, unless you’ve been subsidized to what we deemed to be low cost housing because of the cost of development,” he told reporters. “However, the NHC, partnering with private developers, is looking at all possibilities in coming up with different housing concepts that will be affordable as possible.”
He stated the whole intention is to target people who are vulnerable in the society who needs those types of homes.
“In that quest, you would see new housing concepts, you would see new housing materials coming up,” he explained.
Mangal noted that the intention is to move away from the single-family housing units to condominium-style houses.
“You would see us move away a bit from the single-family residential unit where everyone would want to have their own garden and own kitchen to a more multiple-family residential concept with a condominium-style development where persons will be able to purchase a flat,” he said.
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020 11:14 AM
- Prime Minister meets with Caribbean Development Bank January 20, 2020 2:41 PM
- Saint Lucia ends 40th year of Independence with over 400k stay-over arrivals January 20, 2020 11:51 AM
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020 9:14 AM