Share This On:
(SNO) – In light of a number of earthquakes rocking the region in recent days, the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) is appealing to Saint Lucians to be prepared and ready in case the island is affected by one.
Director of the organization, Dorine Gustave, said the quakes show that the entire region is seismically active.
“We are a volcanic island and so we ought to be prepared,” she told HTSNews4orce. “That is the key thing.”
She appealed to all Saint Lucians to visit NEMO’s website where they can find information on preparedness for any sort of hazard.
NEMO’s website is http://nemo.gov.lc
Gustave gave some tips on what to do in case of an earthquake.
“In case of an earthquake, the thing to do is wherever you are at the time, you remain,” she explained. “If you are inside, remain inside. You drop, you cover and hold until the shaking stops.”
She stated that after the shaking stops, one can venture outside.
On Wednesday, an earthquake off the coast of Dominica shook several islands.
Earlier in the week, two earthquakes rocked Puerto Rico causing damages and at least one death.
The US Geological Survey said the Spanish-speaking island had previously experienced up to 500 tremors in as little as 10 days.
During the Christmas week last year, the Lesser Antilles was shaken by a number of earthquakes that rattled some nerves.
Experts have warned that the region will experience a major earthquake and it is just a matter of when.
They urge everyone to be prepared and ready.
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020 10:39 AM
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020 9:09 AM
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020 8:48 AM
- 16-year-old among victims of Dominica plane crash February 17, 2020 6:31 PM
- Three Saint Lucians attend World Summit 2020 in Korea February 17, 2020 2:08 PM
- Items found in sea as Dominica plane crash rescue mission continues February 17, 2020 10:37 AM
- BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Reports of plane crash in Dominica February 16, 2020 8:28 PM