Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A Texas man was shot in the leg by a witness who spotted him beating and stabbing his 16-month-old son in an apartment building courtyard, police said.
The man, who has not been identified by police in Lewisville, was shot Sunday afternoon at the Oak Forrest Apartments by a neighbor who grabbed a firearm and took aim to prevent further injuries to the child, who later died, police said.
The man, who is believed to be the father of the toddler, was arrested by responding officers. The good Samaritan who fired the shot that stopped the attack will not face criminal charges, Capt. Jesse Hunter said in a news release obtained by The Post.
The identities of both the father and the child have not yet been released, Hunter said Monday. There were no police records of prior incidents at the apartment or previous reports involving Child Protective Services, Hunter said.
A witness told police that the father was yelling “Jesus is coming,” according to the Dallas Morning News. Hunter, who confirmed that detail to The Post, told the newspaper that the incident was “probably the worst” he’s seen in his 20-year law enforcement career.
The attack occurred while the toddler’s mother was at work. She has been interviewed by detectives, according to the newspaper.
The boy’s father was expected to be booked into a jail in Lewisville late Sunday, but the charges he faces aren’t immediately clear as investigators await toxicology results.
Another resident at the apartment complex said she heard gunshots while walking her dog late Sunday.
“Some of my neighbors told me to get down,” resident Mary Phillips, 77, told the Morning News. “My lease is up in March. If I live that long, I’ll move.”
Another woman at the complex said she regularly saw the toddler’s father spending time on his balcony and had no reason to believe he was capable of such an attack.
“He was pretty normal,” Ciera Mills, 26, told the newspaper. “For this to happen is unbelievable.”
More International News Stories
- Over 5,000 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in single day in China February 14, 2020
- Virus infects more than 1,700 health workers in China, 6 die February 14, 2020
- Killer asteroid to miss earth by 3.6 million miles on Saturday February 14, 2020
- UN: Congo’s ebola outbreak slows but still global emergency February 13, 2020
- Fall in new cases raises hope in virus outbreak in China February 13, 2020
- Coronavirus is a bigger threat than terrorism: World Health Organization February 12, 2020
- Pope rejects a proposal to allow married priests in the Amazon February 12, 2020