A Morne Jacques house was destroyed by fire earlier today.
The house, which was reportedly occupied by a farmer in the community , was seen smoking at about 10:30 a.m. today.
Residents called the Soufriere Fire Station, who responded promptly.
Officials said upon arriving at the scene, the house was already engulfed in flames and the roof had already collapsed.
Nevertheless the firefighters managed to save part of the kitchen. The fire service said the owner was not at home at the time of the fire.
Meanwhile, fire officials also responded to calls at the Bank of Saint Lucia branch in Soufriere around the same time today.
Reports are that an alarm was triggered in the building. Employees were evacuated.
Firefighters later detected that a malfunctioning smoke detector was responsible for triggering the alarm.