Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) – A prominent Connecticut rabbi convicted of repeatedly sexually abusing a 15-year-old boy was sentenced this week to 12 years in prison.
Rabbi Daniel Greer, 79, who founded Yeshiva of New Haven, was sentenced Monday to spend 20 years in state prison — to be suspended after he serves 12 years behind bars. He was also ordered to register as a sex offender for 10 years and serve 10 years of probation, the New Haven Register reports.
Greer, who was convicted in September, denies the accusations by a New Jersey man, Eliyahu Mirlis, who claims Greer repeatedly raped and molested him at the Jewish boarding school he attended in 2002 and 2003, as well as at Greer’s New Haven home, at Edgewood Park and a motel in Branford.
“Daniel Greer is a monster,” Mirlis said in a statement read in court by a prosecutor. “Daniel Greer has never apologized for all he did to me. Daniel Greer has no remorse. Daniel Greer should be incarcerated immediately to stop him from committing future crimes.”
Mirlis, who was 15 at the time of the abuse, won a civil lawsuit in 2017 requiring Greer to pay him $21.7 million, but that money has thus far gone uncollected, the newspaper reports.
Meanwhile, Superior Court Judge Jon Alander excoriated Greer for his actions prior to sentencing, saying evidence at trial showed that Greer “repeatedly sexually abused” Mirlis over several months — a “monumental betrayal” and a “colossal violation of trust.”
“He committed the worst possible crime in the worst possible way,” Alander said.
Greer, who was convicted in September of four counts of risk of injury to a minor, declined to speak in court, saying his attorneys had recommended that he “remain silent” due to his ongoing appeal.
Greer’s attorney, David Grudberg, had asked Alander to consider the rabbi’s “good works” ahead of the judge’s sentence, adding that his school has already been shuttered and he’s lost touch with his five children and 25 grandchildren.
“Daniel Greer has already been punished,” Grudberg said. “He was the de facto mayor of Edgewood. But he now finds himself a pariah in the community. He has suffered public scorn. His name has been splashed across the newspaper in negative ways.”
More International News Stories
- R Kelly charged with paying bribe before marrying Aaliyah December 6, 2019
- Our cell phones are causing more head and neck injuries, study shows December 6, 2019
- Flesh-eating bacteria linked to heroin use kills 7 in California December 6, 2019
- Doctors revive woman whose heart stopped for six hours December 6, 2019
- Banana duct-taped to wall art installation sells for $120k in Miami December 6, 2019
- Suit filed challenging social media disclosure rule for US visas December 6, 2019
- Uber reports more than 3,000 sexual assaults on rides in 2018 December 6, 2019