Share This On:
(JAMAICA GLEANER) — Sections of the island were rattled by a minor tremor around 9.28 p.m. on Sunday.
The exact measurement and other details were not immediately available from the Earthquake Unit.
However, the United States Geological Survey reported that it was 3.6 magnitude tremor with its epicentre west north-west of Hope Bay, Portland.
On social media, people in Kingston, St Andrew and St Thomas reported feeling the quake.
In September, two minor earthquakes were recorded in Jamaica.
Almost a day ago, Caribbean neighbour, Haiti was rocked by a 5.9 magnitude tremor which has left 11 dead and more than 35 others injured.
5 Facts: Earthquakes In Jamaica
According to the Earthquake Unit at the University of the West Indies, about 200 earthquakes are located in and around Jamaica per year most of which are minor, having magnitudes less than 4.0. Here are five facts about tremors in Jamaica:
1. The dates of Jamaica’s most damaging earthquakes were: 1667, March 1, 1688, June 7, 1692, September 3, 1771, November 11, 1812, April 10, 1824, November 5, 1839, January 14, 1907, August 3, 1914, July 5, 1943, March 1, 1957, January 13, 1993, June 12, 2005. See list for more details about places affected and damage observed.
2. The largest and most damaging natural disaster in Jamaica was the famous Port Royal earthquake of June 7, 1692, It was felt island-wide and a part of Port Royal sank into the sea. It was reported that at least 2,000 persons died as a result of an outbreak of yellow fever, which developed after the quake.
3. On January 14, 1907, the city of Kingston was severely damaged by an earthquake.
4. More than 1,000 people died mostly in the fires following the main shock and aftershocks of the 1907 earthquake. After-shocks continued for the rest of the year.
5. The largest event after 1907 was on March 1, 1957. Buildings and infrastructure in Western Jamaica suffered the most damage and a bit of the Port Royal coast sank into the sea.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM