Share This On:
(JAMAICA GLEANER) — Sections of the island were rattled by a minor tremor around 9.28 p.m. on Sunday.
The exact measurement and other details were not immediately available from the Earthquake Unit.
However, the United States Geological Survey reported that it was 3.6 magnitude tremor with its epicentre west north-west of Hope Bay, Portland.
On social media, people in Kingston, St Andrew and St Thomas reported feeling the quake.
In September, two minor earthquakes were recorded in Jamaica.
Almost a day ago, Caribbean neighbour, Haiti was rocked by a 5.9 magnitude tremor which has left 11 dead and more than 35 others injured.
5 Facts: Earthquakes In Jamaica
According to the Earthquake Unit at the University of the West Indies, about 200 earthquakes are located in and around Jamaica per year most of which are minor, having magnitudes less than 4.0. Here are five facts about tremors in Jamaica:
1. The dates of Jamaica’s most damaging earthquakes were: 1667, March 1, 1688, June 7, 1692, September 3, 1771, November 11, 1812, April 10, 1824, November 5, 1839, January 14, 1907, August 3, 1914, July 5, 1943, March 1, 1957, January 13, 1993, June 12, 2005. See list for more details about places affected and damage observed.
2. The largest and most damaging natural disaster in Jamaica was the famous Port Royal earthquake of June 7, 1692, It was felt island-wide and a part of Port Royal sank into the sea. It was reported that at least 2,000 persons died as a result of an outbreak of yellow fever, which developed after the quake.
3. On January 14, 1907, the city of Kingston was severely damaged by an earthquake.
4. More than 1,000 people died mostly in the fires following the main shock and aftershocks of the 1907 earthquake. After-shocks continued for the rest of the year.
5. The largest event after 1907 was on March 1, 1957. Buildings and infrastructure in Western Jamaica suffered the most damage and a bit of the Port Royal coast sank into the sea.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM