Share This On:
(SKY NEWS) – A 75-year-old woman in the US has been charged with shooting her grandson over a cup of tea, according to local media.
Helen Washington is said to have wounded the boy because he rested his drink on a wooden table in her home.
Police officers arrived at the property in Brooklyn Centre, Minnesota, to find the victim with a bullet hole in his right thigh, the Star Tribune reported.
According to the newspaper, an argument began after the boy placed a teacup on some furniture, believed to be a wooden table.
It added the grandmother got upset, poured away the tea and went to fetch a gun.
When the boy got another cup of tea and once again rested it on her table, Washington allegedly pulled out a .38 Special and shot him.
Police arrested Washington at the scene.
She told them she did not think she should be jailed and asked where the bullet had struck her grandson, WBTV said.
Washington has been charged with second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, KRMG reported.
A judge has also apparently ordered an evaluation to see if she is fit to stand trial.
The name and age of her grandson have not been released.
More International News Stories
- Over 5,000 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in single day in China February 14, 2020
- Virus infects more than 1,700 health workers in China, 6 die February 14, 2020
- Killer asteroid to miss earth by 3.6 million miles on Saturday February 14, 2020
- UN: Congo’s ebola outbreak slows but still global emergency February 13, 2020
- Fall in new cases raises hope in virus outbreak in China February 13, 2020
- Coronavirus is a bigger threat than terrorism: World Health Organization February 12, 2020
- Pope rejects a proposal to allow married priests in the Amazon February 12, 2020