Share This On:
Laws regarding domestic abuse and pornographic material will be reviewed, according to Gender Relations Minister Dr. Gale Rigobert.
The minister, speaking to reporters, said that in order to respond to such crimes adequately, changes in legislature are essential since existing laws are archaic.
“That legislation dates back to the early 1990’s and so we have flagged it as one of the pieces of legislation in urgent need of review. We also recognise, given the circulation or recent pornographic pieces, especially involving young people, that we ought to assess the extent to which our laws adequately allow for us to respond to those kinds of incidents,” she said.
“While in opposition, when you hear of those ugly incidents, the instinctive reaction is one of outrage and disgust. When in government, what I have done and what one is expected to do, given the seat that one now occupies, is to ask for a comprehensive review of all the legislation that speaks to issues of domestic violence and that speak to issues regarding inappropriate sexual behaviour,” she added.
Dr. Rigobert recently assembled with the attorney general, acting commissioner of police and national security minister to discuss domestic violence legislation.
She commended civil society organisations that engage in activism on matters of domestic and sexual violence. She called for more of this.
A number of the murders recorded this year in St. Lucia has been a result of domestic violence and there has been a recent spike in the circulation of sexually explicit videos involving youngsters on the island.
- Castries Constituency Council workers return to work February 27, 2020 9:05 AM
- RSS to present crime scene investigations equipment to St. Lucia police February 27, 2020 8:57 AM
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM