Share This On:
(SKY NEWS) – The alleged boss of a notorious Mexican drug gang has been arrested despite having hair implants and weight loss surgery to evade capture.
“El Betito” – the suspected head of Mexico City’s Tepito Union gang – was detained in the south west of the sprawling city, said national security commissioner Renato Sales.
He had lost about 4st 10lbs (30kg) through gastric band surgery to reduce the size of his stomach.
Police photos show the 37-year-old looking considerably more slimline, bearded, and with a fuller head of hair.
Local media reported his real name as Roberto Moyado Esparza.
He was arrested in the Rincón del Pedregal neighborhood carrying $10,000 (£7,825), drugs and a handgun.
His brother, who was apparently guarding him, was also detained.
He is accused of being the boss of the most notorious drug gang in the Mexican capital and is being investigated over various murders.
The Tepito Union gang is said to be involved in drugs, kidnappings, extortion and weapons, and takes its name from Mexico City’s gritty Tepito neighbourhood.
More International News Stories
- Britain’s largest family expecting 22nd child October 22, 2019
- At least 55 elephants starved to death in Zimbabwe drought October 21, 2019
- Same-sex marriage and abortion now legal in Northern Ireland October 21, 2019
- Man kills himself after suffering months-long toothache October 21, 2019
- Tupac Shakur arrested for attacking cops in Tennessee October 21, 2019
- Heartburn drug Zantac recalled over cancer-causing chemical October 19, 2019
- Woman wears all her clothes at airport to avoid excess baggage fees October 18, 2019