Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Mayor of Castries, His Worship Peterson D. Francis has signed a formal Accord with the cities of Kingston, Georgetown and Port of Spain, fulfilling a commitment established during the Caribbean Conference of Mayors.
The inaugural Caribbean Conference of Mayors was held at the University of the West Indies Regional Headquarters at the Mona campus from April 9 – 11, 2018.
The conference was attended by Mayors from the region, Jamaica and Miramar in Florida, who were keen to add their voices to the session.
The Accord sets out the framework for a new relationship between the Mayors of the region and key agencies in Jamaica. It also includes building, improving and sustaining local governance within the region, committing to best practices to ensure close collaborations, hosting the Caribbean Conference of Mayors biennially, strategic capacity to deliver a shared vision, consideration to supporting each other’s priorities and working with local Government to allow municipalities to create and implement their own infrastructural and social development agendas.
Speaking to the historic event, Mayor Francis said, “I am proud to be signing a formal Accord with Caribbean Mayors as we share a vision for the regions we represent. This vision can only be achieved through new ways of working as equal partners with each other, the public, private sector organizations and local Government. It is necessary that we truly unlock the full potential of our citizens and communities. I welcome the Accord as my wish is to see more robust and vibrant municipalities.”
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 5:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM