Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Mayor of Castries, His Worship Peterson D. Francis has signed a formal Accord with the cities of Kingston, Georgetown and Port of Spain, fulfilling a commitment established during the Caribbean Conference of Mayors.
The inaugural Caribbean Conference of Mayors was held at the University of the West Indies Regional Headquarters at the Mona campus from April 9 – 11, 2018.
The conference was attended by Mayors from the region, Jamaica and Miramar in Florida, who were keen to add their voices to the session.
The Accord sets out the framework for a new relationship between the Mayors of the region and key agencies in Jamaica. It also includes building, improving and sustaining local governance within the region, committing to best practices to ensure close collaborations, hosting the Caribbean Conference of Mayors biennially, strategic capacity to deliver a shared vision, consideration to supporting each other’s priorities and working with local Government to allow municipalities to create and implement their own infrastructural and social development agendas.
Speaking to the historic event, Mayor Francis said, “I am proud to be signing a formal Accord with Caribbean Mayors as we share a vision for the regions we represent. This vision can only be achieved through new ways of working as equal partners with each other, the public, private sector organizations and local Government. It is necessary that we truly unlock the full potential of our citizens and communities. I welcome the Accord as my wish is to see more robust and vibrant municipalities.”
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM