Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Mayor of Castries, His Worship Peterson D. Francis has signed a formal Accord with the cities of Kingston, Georgetown and Port of Spain, fulfilling a commitment established during the Caribbean Conference of Mayors.
The inaugural Caribbean Conference of Mayors was held at the University of the West Indies Regional Headquarters at the Mona campus from April 9 – 11, 2018.
The conference was attended by Mayors from the region, Jamaica and Miramar in Florida, who were keen to add their voices to the session.
The Accord sets out the framework for a new relationship between the Mayors of the region and key agencies in Jamaica. It also includes building, improving and sustaining local governance within the region, committing to best practices to ensure close collaborations, hosting the Caribbean Conference of Mayors biennially, strategic capacity to deliver a shared vision, consideration to supporting each other’s priorities and working with local Government to allow municipalities to create and implement their own infrastructural and social development agendas.
Speaking to the historic event, Mayor Francis said, “I am proud to be signing a formal Accord with Caribbean Mayors as we share a vision for the regions we represent. This vision can only be achieved through new ways of working as equal partners with each other, the public, private sector organizations and local Government. It is necessary that we truly unlock the full potential of our citizens and communities. I welcome the Accord as my wish is to see more robust and vibrant municipalities.”
- Saint Lucia’s Meggan William ekes out singles victory for the Golden Eagles October 23, 2019 10:43 AM
- UK: 39 bodies found inside lorry container in Essex October 23, 2019 10:15 AM
- Gunmen raping males only on the loose in Montego Bay, Jamaica October 23, 2019 10:06 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Tarik Xavier led his US college men’s team in cross country October 23, 2019 9:54 AM
- SLP still wants to know: ‘Who is really paying for the horses?’ October 22, 2019 6:06 PM
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM
- PM Chastanet, Pacific Islands explore development of SIDS resilience facility October 21, 2019 11:09 PM