Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Mayor of Castries, His Worship Peterson D. Francis has signed a formal Accord with the cities of Kingston, Georgetown and Port of Spain, fulfilling a commitment established during the Caribbean Conference of Mayors.
The inaugural Caribbean Conference of Mayors was held at the University of the West Indies Regional Headquarters at the Mona campus from April 9 – 11, 2018.
The conference was attended by Mayors from the region, Jamaica and Miramar in Florida, who were keen to add their voices to the session.
The Accord sets out the framework for a new relationship between the Mayors of the region and key agencies in Jamaica. It also includes building, improving and sustaining local governance within the region, committing to best practices to ensure close collaborations, hosting the Caribbean Conference of Mayors biennially, strategic capacity to deliver a shared vision, consideration to supporting each other’s priorities and working with local Government to allow municipalities to create and implement their own infrastructural and social development agendas.
Speaking to the historic event, Mayor Francis said, “I am proud to be signing a formal Accord with Caribbean Mayors as we share a vision for the regions we represent. This vision can only be achieved through new ways of working as equal partners with each other, the public, private sector organizations and local Government. It is necessary that we truly unlock the full potential of our citizens and communities. I welcome the Accord as my wish is to see more robust and vibrant municipalities.”
- St Lucia Jazz and St Lucia Summer Festival 2020 off to an exciting start January 17, 2020 10:00 AM
- Alert of “Assured” brand products January 16, 2020 3:20 PM
- Government aims to reduce serious crime by 45 percent January 16, 2020 2:33 PM
- 2020 Saint Lucia Summer Festival launched January 16, 2020 1:28 PM
- BVI: ‘Earthquake swarm’ leaves researchers puzzled and DDM on ‘high alert’ January 16, 2020 11:37 AM
- St Lucian artist Shaaiae collaborates with Gaza international artist Shawn Storm January 16, 2020 9:09 AM
- Central Statistical Office commences mapping for 2020 census January 15, 2020 11:34 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Earthquake shakes Dominica again January 14, 2020 8:56 PM