Share This On:
(BBC) – The winner of the biggest jackpot in North American history – $758.7m (£590m) – has come forward to collect her prize, lottery officials say.
Mavis Wanczyk, 53, bought the ticket at a Chicopee, Massachusetts, petrol station.
The winner – whose lucky numbers were 6, 7, 16, 23 and 26, and 4 – told reporters she had already quit her job.
The biggest ever US Powerball jackpot was $1.6bn, although that was shared by three ticket holders in January 2016.
Massachusetts State Lottery told reporters the ticket in Wednesday night’s draw had been validated.
“The first thing I want to do is just sit back and relax,” said Ms Wanczyk, chewing gum.
“I had a pipe dream.. and it came true.”
She told journalists she had picked her lucky numbers based on relatives’ birthdays.
Ms Wanczyk said of her 32-year job at a medical centre: “I’ve called them and told them I will not be going back.”
She added that she was “going to go hide in my bed”.
Reporters asked if she had plans to treat herself to something nice, such as a fancy new car.
But Ms Wanczyk replied she just bought a new car less than a year ago, and now plans to pay it off in full.
One lottery officials described the woman as “your prototypical Massachusetts resident”.
He added that she seems like “a hard-working individual” and “clearly she’s excited”.
The $50,000 prize awarded to the business that sells the winning numbers will be donated to charity, said Pride petrol station owner Bob Bolbuc.
The jackpot payout, which can be made in 29 yearly payments or a lump sum, is estimated to be about $443m.
Powerball Product Group chairman Charlie McIntyre said in a statement that six other tickets – sold in Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and the Virgin Islands – won $2m each.
Thirty-four other tickets across the US scooped $1m.
Massachusetts lottery officials initially said the jackpot ticket was sold at a convenience store in the Boston suburb of Watertown, but corrected the location on Thursday morning.
It is not clear how the error was made.
Odds of winning the jackpot are one in 292.2 million.
More International News Stories
- Vaping illness cases rise again, to 2,172, CDC says November 19, 2019
- Britain’s ‘first gay dads’ split after one starts dating daughter’s ex November 19, 2019
- NYPD cop in fatal crash got at least 10 traffic citations this year November 19, 2019
- At least three dead after Oklahoma Walmart shooting November 19, 2019
- ‘Invisibility cloak’ straight out of Harry Potter is now a thing November 19, 2019
- Doctors warn that eyelash extensions are helping lice spread November 19, 2019
- Criminal charges expected this week against Epstein guards November 19, 2019