Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT LUCIA.
AT 8:00 A.M. TODAY, THE CENTRE OF HURRICANE MARIA WAS NEAR LATITUDE 14.6 NORTH, LONGITUDE 59.7 WEST, OR 87 MILES OR 140 KM EAST NORTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. MARIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH OR 19 KM/H. ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THE CENTRE OF MARIA IS EXPECTED TO MOVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN WINDWARD ISLANDS LATER TODAY.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH OR 175 KM/H WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL RAPID STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. MARIA EXPECTED TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE BEFORE IT MOVES THROUGH THE LEEWARD ISLANDS.
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES OR 30 KM FROM THE CENTRE AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES OR 165 KM.
OUTERBANDS OF MARIA ARE EXPECTED TO PRODUCE HEAVY SHOWERS, GUSTY WINDS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER SAINT LUCIA TODAY.
ROUGH SEAS GENERATED BY HURRICANE MARIA WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT SAINT LUCIA WITH WAVES AND SWELLS 10 TO 14 FEET OR 3.0 TO 4.3 METRES FOR THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.
SMALL CRAFT AND LOCAL FISHERMEN ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO REMAIN IN PORT AND RESIDENTS ARE ALSO ADVISED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE BEACHES.
PERSONS LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE VIGILANCE.
RESIDENTS OF SAINT LUCIA AND THE REST OF THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD ISLANDS ARE ASKED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.
REPEATING THE 8:00 AM. POSITION OF HURRICANE MARIA, LATITUDE 14.6 NORTH, LONGITUDE 59.7 WEST OR 87 MILES OR 140 KM EAST NORTHEAST OF SAINT LUCIA. THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 11:00 AM TODAY.
METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES HEWANORRA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM