Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR SAINT LUCIA.
AT 5:00 A.M. TODAY, THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA WAS CENTERED NEAR LATITUDE 13.0 NORTH, LONGITUDE 54.9 WEST OR 400 MILES OR 656 KM EAST OF SAINT LUCIA. MARIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH OR 24 KM/H.
ON THE FORECAST TRACK, THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO APPROACH THE LEEWARD ISLANDS BY MONDAY NIGHT.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 65 MPH OR 100 KM/H WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHEN IS FORECAST AND MARIA WILL LIKELY BECOME A HURRICANE LATER TODAY.
TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES (95 KM) FROM THE CENTER.
THE OUTERBAND OF MARIA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE MODERATE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER SAINT LUCIA BY LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AN INCREASE IN SHOWER INTENSITY IS EXPECTED FROM SUNDAY NIGHT.
SEAS ARE FORECAST TO BE ROUGH TO VERY ROUGH AND SMALL CRAFT AND LOCAL FISHERMEN ARE ADVISED TO REMAIN IN PORT AND TO TAKE ALL MEASURES TO SECURE GEAR.
PERSONS LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING AND LANDSLIDES SHOULD TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS AGAINST THESE HAZARDS.
RESIDENTS OF SAINT LUCIA AND THE REST OF THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD ISLANDS ARE ASKED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM
REPEATING THE 5:00 AM. POSITION OF TROPICAL STORM MARIA, LATITUDE 13.0 NORTH, LONGITUDE 54.9 WEST OR 400 MILES OR 656 KM0 EAST OF SAINT LUCIA.
THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 8:00 AM.
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM
- Botham Jean’s brother receives police award December 3, 2019 1:45 PM