Share This On:
(NEW YORK POST) — The man who stabbed his estranged Queens salon worker wife to death was seen on video standing over her with the knife and then hugging her before he was arrested and charged with murder.
Video obtained by The Post shows William Rivas, 39, laying on top of his bleeding estranged wife, 35-year-old Carmen Iris Santiago, after stabbing her repeatedly around 7 p.m. Wednesday inside the Jackson Heights shop.
“We tried to get him off of her but his strength was greater than ours,” explained Tu S’tilo Salon SPA owner Lourdes Salazar, through tears. “And then he tried stabbing us.”
The footage later shows plainclothes police officers arriving at the scene and pulling Rivas away from his dying wife as bystanders look on, some even videotaping the tragic aftermath.
Santiago, a mother of two boys who also goes by the name Iris Rodriguez, was rushed to Elmhurst General Hospital, but could not be saved.
A memorial was set up Thursday at Santiago’s work station within the salon, where co-workers placed a framed photograph of the woman, surrounded by candles, as well as a bouquet of white and purple roses, a cross and a wreath of white flowers.
A second dedication was arranged outside the store, where the same framed picture was placed on top of a donation box and lined with more candles and flowers.
Santiago and Rivas recently had separated after a 15-year marriage, Salazar added.
The salon owner’s son, 21-year-old Freddy Chavez, described Santiago as a “single parent” who came to the country from the Dominican Republic about five years ago.
“Iris, she was a really good person, she was very caring,” he said. “They always talk about how good of a mother she was, being a single parent, coming to this country. She put them (her children) first.”
Rivas — who was hospitalized following the stabbing for an injury he suffered during the attack — was charged Thursday with murder and criminal possession of a weapon.
He has no criminal history with the NYPD and there is no documented history of domestic incidents between the couple.
- George Floyd death: Widespread unrest as curfews defied across US
- What happened in the last moments of George Floyd’s life
- India: Woman gives birth, then walks 160km with her newborn baby
- New York pastor says his parish lost 44 people to coronavirus
- Afghanistan: ‘Sheer evil’ maternity ward attack death toll rises to 24
- Venezuelan opposition advisers resign after failed operation to oust Nicolas Maduro
- ‘Oldest woman in Spain’ beats COVID-19 at age 113
- UK rail worker dies with COVID-19 after being spat at
- Babies killed as gunmen storm maternity ward in Afghanistan