UPDATE: Man accused of arson attack in Rodney Bay granted bail

13
UPDATE: Man accused of arson attack in Rodney Bay granted bail

402330_129072220547655_1934620228_nA 40-year-old man was slapped with five charges for the recent fire in Rodney Bay.

The Public Relations Office of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) has confirmed that Peter Merius, of Degazon, Gros-Islet was charged with the offence of arson and damage on Wednesday.

Merius was charged with five counts of damage and one count of arson, in connection with the fire which destroyed several businesses on Tuesday, January 26, in Rodney, Bay, Gros-Islet.

He made an appearance before the First District Court on Thursday where he was granted bail in the sum of EC$ 50,000.00, suitable surety or land document on the charge of arson and EC$5,000.00, suitable surety or land document on each charge of damage.

He was also ordered to surrender travel documents and to report to the Gros-Islet Police Station every Wednesday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., according to a police press statement.

The case was adjourned to March 16, 2016.

The owner of Q-bar, Minister Stanley Felix, said he is happy the investigations so far and noted that plans are in place to have his business rebuilt.

(23)(9)

No posts to display

13 COMMENTS

  1. Sophia February 6, 2016 at 11:38 AM

    Really! Where is the evidence..as far as I know the suspect works there..he opens and closes that store,so why would'nt he be the last person to lv that store...I'm waiting on the evidence...how u charge a person before you find out the cause of the fire..is the investigation over that quick...I didn't know st lucia had such sophisticated equipment to conduct an investigation that quickly...smh..

    (3)(0)

  2. EC$ 50,000.00 bail for arson! Yet it was $5,000 for attempted Murder!!!

    I think am going change my job to Hit Man for Hire....

    Aboslute Papishow.

    (32)(4)

  3. Things hard the people want insurance money and probably pay the guy to do that! I am not surprised with their money that bail the man.

    (36)(5)

  4. dam the police must have pretty good surveillance evidence to make those charges since they do not have a confession. good luck making those charges stick.

    (30)(3)

  5. This thing is suspicious. What would the accused have with those places. If what Gr 8 dane says is correct then that the answer. Question is does th epolice have the will to go further than this obvious small time person. They have not shown the capacity to bring in big fish before. Check all the big drug busts we hear. But nver hear about convictions. Wha happen to the drugs on the yacht at reduit and marisule beach and the business man going in by Beausejour

    (30)(0)

  6. Matthews was a great restaurant on the strip, the food and the staff were excellent and they deserve to come back again, with gods will i really hope they do and all the other business effected by this idiots actions.

    (15)(105)

  7. There's more to that. Y was da vehicle of one of da business owners caught on surveillance camera on da scene,with dat same suspect running away from da scene at da same time. He wasn't a lone wolf,he acted on behalf ov da boss 4 dome insurance pay up. Da boss should be investigated n charged same way

    (100)(2)

    • Really! Where is the evidence..as far as I know the suspect works there..he opens and closes that store,so why would'nt he be the last person to lv that store...I'm waiting on the evidence...how u charge a person before you find out the cause of the fire..is the investigation over that quick...I didn't know st lucia had such sophisticated equipment to conduct an investigation that quickly...smh..

      (6)(1)

Comments are closed.