Share This On:
The 26-year-old cleared 5.84m in Long Jump and threw 35.06m in Javelin Throw, proclaiming her readiness to attack the qualifying mark for Rio 2016, which would also represent a new National Record for Saint Lucia, and a new record for the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States.
“I’m leaving the track all in good spirits and great confidence,” she said. The St Joseph’s Convent alumna, who trains at the Altis high performance centre in Phoenix, Arizona, declared that she is hoping to be at or near her best in several of the seven events she will be undertaking next week in California. She also called on her fellow countrymen and other supporters to rally behind her.
“I am thankful for my training partners and coach,” said Makeba. “I’m in great shape, in good health, and ready for war. God is good. I am definitely happy with my results and the workout after. Keep me in your prayers as I continue on this road to Rio.
“Right now it’s about just fixing the little bugs and niggles and sharpening up until my main meet. I’m healthy and feeling good. Probably the most technical I have been in my entire life. Looking forward to this meet to get back into the swing of things.”
Makeba’s personal bests in Long Jump, Javelin Throw, 800m, and Heptathlon are 6.15m, 37.37, 2:12.05, and 6050. She is anticipating matching or surpassing her marks in the individual events, as well as improving her 100m Hurdles and Shot put performances. She needs to get to 6200 to make the Olympics. That would place her in the world’s top 10.
More Sports Stories
- Choiseul community hosts Choiseul Smash cricket tournament January 24, 2020
- DASH 2020 set for weekend launch January 21, 2020
- Hero CPL announces tournament’s economic impact on St Lucia January 21, 2020
- Keymanie shines as repeat junior golf champ January 21, 2020
- West Indies U-19s all but qualify for semi-finals at World Cup January 20, 2020
- Simmons, Pollard, Bravo give West Indies series-levelling win January 20, 2020
- St Lucia Tennis Association to host first annual awards ceremony January 15, 2020
- 10th World ARC sets sail from Saint Lucia January 13, 2020