Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – The Dugard Combined School in Choiseul has a student population of 240.
Ahead of the start of the new academic year in September, school officials had one wish, a new library and dining area. It was a project the St. Lucia Electricity Services Limited (LUCELEC) agreed to fund, initially estimated at just over $20,000. Work began in August 2018.
Fast forward to six weeks after the start of work and an additional $40,000 investment. What began as refurbishing a room and adding a partition to establish a library and dining area for students, morphed into additional work on a new roof and ceiling which needed to be replaced.
The final result was a substantially upgraded part of the school plant at Dugard Combined.
LUCELEC Corporate Communications Manager Roger Joseph says, although the final investment was three times what was originally planned, the work on the new library and dining area would be rendered useless if the roof and ceiling were not addressed.
LUCELEC is a longstanding partner in education. The Dugard Combined is the latest in a series of investments in the education sector that has included the establishment of libraries at several primary schools, a brand new greenhouse and kitchen to facilitate a School Feeding Programme at the Vieux-Fort Primary School, the establishment of a fully equipped electronics lab at the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, and annual sponsorship of the National School Science and Technology Fair.
The newest addition to the West Coast school will be officially opened on Tuesday, February 12.
- PM Chastanet promises super-rich Saint Lucia citizenship in three months November 18, 2019 11:55 AM
- Guy Joseph shoots down reports of complete St. Jude Hospital demolition November 18, 2019 10:26 AM
- Central Statistical Office launches Census 2020 recruitment drive November 18, 2019 12:16 AM
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM