Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – The Dugard Combined School in Choiseul has a student population of 240.
Ahead of the start of the new academic year in September, school officials had one wish, a new library and dining area. It was a project the St. Lucia Electricity Services Limited (LUCELEC) agreed to fund, initially estimated at just over $20,000. Work began in August 2018.
Fast forward to six weeks after the start of work and an additional $40,000 investment. What began as refurbishing a room and adding a partition to establish a library and dining area for students, morphed into additional work on a new roof and ceiling which needed to be replaced.
The final result was a substantially upgraded part of the school plant at Dugard Combined.
LUCELEC Corporate Communications Manager Roger Joseph says, although the final investment was three times what was originally planned, the work on the new library and dining area would be rendered useless if the roof and ceiling were not addressed.
LUCELEC is a longstanding partner in education. The Dugard Combined is the latest in a series of investments in the education sector that has included the establishment of libraries at several primary schools, a brand new greenhouse and kitchen to facilitate a School Feeding Programme at the Vieux-Fort Primary School, the establishment of a fully equipped electronics lab at the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, and annual sponsorship of the National School Science and Technology Fair.
The newest addition to the West Coast school will be officially opened on Tuesday, February 12.
- Iconic Kassav singer hospitalized in Martinique February 28, 2020 12:00 PM
- Family loses everything in Sarrot fire February 28, 2020 11:13 AM
- SLBS warns of illegal cigarettes on market February 28, 2020 11:03 AM
- Regional travel taxes comparatively low – Fedee February 28, 2020 10:33 AM
- Caribbean on high alert for deadly Covid-19 February 28, 2020 10:18 AM
- Labour Department investigating Hylyne Poultry complaints February 28, 2020 9:08 AM
- Suspected case of coronavirus in BVI – Local health officials thrust into ’emergency meeting’ February 27, 2020 3:43 PM
- PAHO calls for stepped up preparedness for Coronavirus February 27, 2020 3:03 PM
- Dr. Kenny Anthony appeals for assistance for fire victims in Vieux-Fort February 27, 2020 2:19 PM