Share This On:
Junior steel pans are scheduled to clash on Sunday, March 30, 2014 when the Cultural Development Foundation hosts the Junior Panorama competition on the grounds of the National Cultural Centre.
The activity is part of the National Arts Festival which was launched on Thursday, February 20, 2014. During that ceremony, St Lucia Electricity Services Limited (LUCELEC), a longstanding supporter of the festival presented a $10,000 donation to CDF Chairman Petrus Compton.
The financial support was primarily for the Master Classes in various subjects including dance, theatre and creative writing. These workshops will end with a Visual Art Coaching Clinic on April 1-3, 2014.
LUCELEC is keen to fund these teaching workshops because they will ensure the continued growth of Saint Lucia’s culture and the Creative Industries. LUCELEC’s Corporate Communications Manager Roger Joseph said beyond that, the power company is believes in providing opportunities for young people to excel.
“We have numerous examples of successful people in various fields, and very often what has made the difference in their careers is the opportunities they have received and made the most of. We know there is a lot of talent in St. Lucia and what most people need is an opportunity to explore their talents. We try to do what we can to give young people every opportunity to do their very best,” Joseph explained.
Six pan sides will compete in the Junior Panorama competition expected to begin at 2 p.m. In addition to sponsoring that event, LUCELEC has also contributed $3,000 to the Diamond Steel Orchestra towards their participation in the competition.
The National Arts Festival ends on May 17, 2014.
More Culture/History Stories
- Valuing our heritage: Through the eyes of communities December 3, 2019
- Saint Lucia government to grow new ‘orange economy’ November 7, 2019
- Folk Research Centre gets assistance October 27, 2019
- Prize-giving ceremony for Kwéyòl Poetry Competition on today October 10, 2019
- Saint Lucia participates in Taiwan National Day celebrations October 9, 2019
- Felix: “We will have Jounen Kweyol, Choiseul style” October 7, 2019
- Saint Lucian delegation participates in Taiwan festivals October 2, 2019
- Creole Heritage Month activities officially underway September 29, 2019