While acknowledging that an investigation is being conducted into a viral torture video involving a Desruisseaux, Micoud teen who is reportedly being held captive in Venezuela, local police have indicated that any recovery operation would have to involve the external affairs department.
The video, which has been making rounds on social media, shows Scott Atkins, 18, being assaulted and threatened by men with high-powered guns, speaking a combination of Spanish and French. Atkins is seen begging an individual named ‘Shawn’ to pay his captors because if he doesn’t they will kill him.
Police, at a media briefing on July 24 did not authenticate the video but instead confirmed that two females, claiming to be Atkins’ sisters, have filed an official report about the alleged kidnapping.
Acting Police Commissioner Milton Desir said the women have indicated that Atkins had gone to Trinidad and they knew that he was working there.
“They [the sisters] received this video indicating that he was kidnapped in Venezuela and they were requiring some monies for his release,” Desir disclosed.
Atkins was said to have left St. Lucia in late January or early February and has been seen in Venezuela. Further details are still unclear.
“In matters like this we would go through our Ministry of External Affairs who would assist us during the course of the investigation,” Desir said.
Sources say Atkins was kidnapped in February from Trinidad and brought to Venezuela where he has been held by his captors ever since.
The gang holding Atkins claims it is owed over $130,000 USD by a relative of Atkins, according to sources.
Relatives of Atkins reportedly received the videos earlier this week and are calling on “Shawn” to pay the Venezuelan gang because the teen is innocent, according to sources.