Share This On:
(BBC) – US basketball star LeBron James says he regrets naming his son LeBron James Jr because of the pressure it places on him to reach the same level of success.
“I still regret giving my 14-year-old my name,” he said in the first episode of his new HBO TV series, The Shop.
The clip, which was filmed in Los Angeles, is scheduled to air in August.
James, 33, moved to the city earlier in July after signing a four-year deal with the LA Lakers basketball team worth $154m (£116m).
In footage from James’s new show which was shared on social media, US comedian Jon Stewart asks the sports star about his family and how he reassures his children, especially LeBron James Jr – better known as Bronny – over expectations to live up to his success.
“They’re playing the same sport that you play better than anyone else in the world… how do you give them peace of mind that they don’t have to be you?” Stewart asked.
“When I was younger, I didn’t have a dad, so my whole thing was whenever I have a kid, I’m going to do everything that this man didn’t do,” James said, adding: “It’s up to them to take their own course, whenever that time comes.”
James, a three-time NBA champion with Cleveland and Miami Heat, excited high-profile stars and supporters with his move to Los Angeles – including West Coast rapper Snoop Dogg, who welcomed “King James”.
Former player and basketball great Magic Johnson has called James the “best player in the world”.
More International News Stories
- Former South Carolina deputy arrested for sex with teen in patrol car November 21, 2019
- US judge temporarily stops 1st federal execution in 16 years November 21, 2019
- DC priest says he was ‘too busy’ to abuse parishioners November 21, 2019
- Family drags uncle’s corpse to insurance company to prove he’s dead November 21, 2019
- British Airways says flights hit by glitch November 21, 2019