Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Saint Lucia Writers Forum will be hosting its Laureate’s Chair at the Central Library on June 25, 2019.
The event will feature local author, poet and cultural critic, A.L. Dawn French.
The Laureate’s Chair, which was conceptualized by Past President of the Saint Lucia Writers Forum, Kensley Charlemagne, is an event which honours the work of Saint Lucia’s Poet Laureate, Sir Derek Walcott.
Every month, a local writer is featured, who speaks on Walcott and how he has inspired their journey as a writer. The featured guest also shares with the audience, his/her favourite Walcott piece.
The event is also aimed at emerging writers and provides them with the opportunity to connect with seasoned and celebrated local authors. The Laureate’s Chair has seen the likes of Kendal Hippolyte, Adrian Augier and author Jean Mederick.
A prolific writer, A. L. Dawn French has had her work featured locally, regionally and internationally since her pre-teen years. She has been part of publications such as “Creation Fire” 1990 published by the Caribbean Association for Feminist Research and Action (CAFRA), “Women’s Future” 2000 published by the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), “Opus Spectrum” 2015 published by the Saint Lucia Writers Forum and the “Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography” 2016 published by Oxford University Press.
Ms. French has won several awards for her works which include the 2013 Winner of the Saint Lucia National Arts Festival (NAF) for fiction for her works INVICTUS and INSIDE STORY; the 2014 NAF People’s Choice Award for fiction for “NÖEL”, 2014 NAF People’s Choice Award for non-fiction for the series “CAREERS” and is responsible for the bestselling series “The Commonsense Collection” and the Historic Series which focuses on the PROFILES of Saint Lucians with its spin off THE STORY OF…
Dawn’s works are available online. You can follow her on https://www.facebook.com/dawnnbooks
The event starts at 7 p.m., limited seating is available and light refreshments will also be served.
The Saint Lucia Writers Forum has been in existence for almost 20 years and serves as a nourishing ground for writers at any level. The Forum seeks to better its members and by creating opportunities for growth and development. It also encourages members to share their literary pieces and provides constructive criticism. The Forum meets every Tuesday from 6:30 p.m. at the Central Library.
Again the event is held on June 25, 2019 at the Castries Central Library, featuring A. L. Dawn French. See you there.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM